08 April 2010

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, by Cassandra Clare

characters.
youthful.
other-worldly.

My initial problem with this book is that the narration is in third person, which unfortunately tended to take me out of the story at times. Another writing technique I disliked,was the way the author would start a dialogue, interrupt it by explaining what the character(s) were doing, then continue with the end of the quote. I found this to be extremely distracting throughout the first half of the book. But I eventually got used to Clare's writing style until it wasn't foreign to me anymore and I can honestly say that I can appreciate the reason that she wrote it that way, in the end.

Once I put my pettiness aside, the story and several of the characters started to grow on me. By the end of the first book, I was excited to start the second. And after that one, I couldn't wait to start the third and it got better from there.

This is definitely one of those books that gets progressively better as you go along. The main characters are in their mid teens; the age that is awkward and confusing for us all. Add to the chaos: demons, vampires, werewolves, angels in the city that never sleeps, and things start to get interesting.

My advice would be, if you liked The Twilight Saga, give this series a chance...it pays off in the end.

3.5 of 5 stars
(keep in mind that the ratings go up with each of the following books  in the series :D)

No comments: