09 April 2010

The Mortal Instruments: City of Ashes, by Cassandra Clare

unexpected.
enchanted.
suspenseful.


This second book in the series was more action-filled than the last. More characters are added to the plot, if you can imagine. There were moments when I felt Clare was either spoon-feeding, or withholding info a bit, yet I continued to be intrigued due to unexpected turns of events and emerging romances. I definitely wanted to know how those were gonna work out...or not.

Magnus Bane has been a favorite of mine, and Simon has raised the bar with his maturing throughout the series. There isn't much of a dull moment in this book. I still don't love Clare's writing style but I can certainly appreciate the intricacy that has gone into writing this book...almost makes me want to read the series again so I can remember all the hints and foreshadowing that occurred in previous books.
Keep reading and you won't be disappointed!

4 of 5 stars

No comments: