17 April 2010

The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy

static.
dark.
enlightening.

I am currently reviewing fiction from my World Literature class I am currently taking, since I don't have a lot of extra time for recreational reading this quarter. The selected literature is in stark contrast to the pop fiction I normally indulge myself with, and it has been a breath of fresh air.

My first descriptive word is "static" which means a character who is unchanging. After reading the first few chapters, I was thinking it has to get better, right?! To my dismay it got worse--much worse. I can tell you because it is stated in the first chapter of the book that Ivan dies a man satisfied with his amends.

The book is pretty dark, but if you know Tolstoy, you know both his parents died when he was a child...he never even knew his mother or even saw pics of her. He had several of 13 children die, as well as a grandmother and two aunts that had a great effect on him.  Pondering his mortality was not something Tolstoy was a stranger to. Contrastly, the main character in the book, Ivan doesn't even take a single thought of death until it is staring him in the face.

I found this book ultimately enlightening and it has a depth to it, as does an exceptional work of art.

4 of 5 stars because it's depressing to an extent.

No comments: