07 October 2010

The Giver by Lois Lowry

control.
burden.
truth.

I was told this book was the first in a series. With only 280 pages, it was an extremely quick read. Good thing too, because I couldn't put it down until I finished it in one evening.  I was all too eager to start the next book, but when I started reading it I discovered the "second book" doesn't seem like the same story at all.

With this realization, I reflect on how The Giver ended. I suppose it could have been a real ending, but so much was left unresolved. I'm baffled. If anyone knows what is the deal with this I'd love to hear your thoughts.

All that being said, I was surprised by how invested in the story I became.  I would have enjoyed more depth from the Giver himself as the story progressed. It seemed there was a jump in the plot about 3/4 way through the book which is where I feel it was lacking.  Again, just too many loose ends. I have lots of questions that might never be answered...and the control freak in me hates that!

4 out of 5 stars

No comments: