07 October 2010

Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran

royalty.
tragedy.
hope.

This was the first historical fiction book I've attempted reading. I'm pleased to announce that I LOVED IT! Being completely and intentionally ignorant of many historic events, I probably wouldn't have known if the author didn't have her facts correct, but I can tell Michelle Moran did meticulous research.  She is an Archaeologist, which fuels her passion for writing. I have much respect for her artistry mingled with historically accurate persons. If she changes certain aspects of history to improve the plot, she clearly lets the reader know that.

As you may know or can imagine, during the rule of Caesar in Rome, slaves led tragic lives and even the royal families were only a small degree away from losing everything at any given moment.  This story tugged on my heartstrings too many times, but it also lifted my spirits.

Definitely a recommend!

4.5 out of 5 stars

No comments: