22 December 2011

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty



family.
friends.
maturing.

After being married for nearly ten years with three kids of my own, and feeling like I suddenly woke up feeling like I reverted to my 20 years old self, but with evidence of time passing, I connected instantly with this book's summary.

While the plot was unique and I favored the final outcome of the story, I remained underwhelmed by the quality of writing. I tend to be snobby about things that I have a preference--I just want what I waaaant! Maybe that's why I expect a certain level of prose from an author, even in a novel. It should flow in his or her own unique style, becoming the underlying melody of the story. Unfortunately there was no such magic at work here.

The story was okay, but it could have been told so much better, in my truly humble, cannot-fathom-the-overwhelming-task-of-writing-a-novel, opinion. In the end, this book was a unique idea with potential that ultimately fell flat.

3 out of 5 stars

No comments: