26 June 2011

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

menagerie.
menacing.
memories.

The first word above is notoriously strewn about this novel and summarizes in one word what this book is about.

me·nag·er·ie

 
A place where animals are kept and trained especially for exhibition; a collection of wild or foreign animals kept especially for exhibition.
 
The most captivating aspect of the storyline, for me, was the interactions between the animals and humans. While the wild animals themselves pose an obvious danger, the other characters prove to be a far greater threat in the plot. Ironically, The humans exude animalistic qualities in the way they treat each other, while the animals show more humanity than their caretakers. 
I also enjoyed the current day story Sara kept coming back to throughout her novel. It is humbling to imagine feeling like what constitutes "you" on the inside, doesn't match your old moderately decrepit and deteriorating exterior. It must be terrible to feel like someone is condescendingly placating you when you have more life experience and valid reasons for acting the way you do; constantly struggling with your limited and infuriating mobility and cogency challenges.
 
This book was a quick and easy read. The plot easily kept my attention and many of the characters were beautifully depicted...even the "ugly" ones. My main qualm with the plot, is the lack of story in the romance department. There was more risque sand crude sex and unnecessary "f" bombs than I care for. Clearly the main characters of the story are passionate, driven individuals. Why must the romantic culmination fall so FLAT?
 
I still thoroughly enjoyed the book and recommend you pick it up before watching the movie...
 
4 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I would have to add the animal cruelty as being a hard thing to read. Though the crude sex certainly added to the lack of appeal. I know its just fiction with the animals, but my goodness, it made me upset.

Cheryn said...

I remember you saying that. But for me, it was an integral part of the plot, because the humans proved to be more animalistic than the menagerie at times. Plus dude got his in the end! (: Elephants rock.