15 June 2011

Fire by Kristin Cashore

vivid.
attachments.
self actualization.

The characters and places Kristin Cashore creates, masterfully lures her audience in. This companion book to Graceling didn't have as strong as a start to its predecessor, but it grew on me. I was a little put off by the same main power being used in both books, though each had an important role in its own book. Unfortunately the overlap took away a little bit of the uniqueness that each book deserved to command. Some moments were a little disjointed when skipping from one scene to the next with little or no transition. That being said, I was not let down by this read.

However, there was a slow and steady climb toward realizing the pinnacle of attachments and characters growing and interweaving throughout the novel. This book is what I consider to be a "chick flick," because the protagonist is cursed with monstrous beauty & super powers, and is surrounded by people who adore her. What an unfortunate challenge, right?! Poor soul. This one is definitely a must read, though I admittedly hold Graceling closer to my heart.

4 out of 5 stars

No comments: