24 March 2011

The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge


steampunk.
refreshing.
twisted.

I only recently learned about the steampunk genre, which I find weird because I totally dig it...would've thought I'd stumbled upon it before now. This book IS steampunk. You can tell from the book summary that this is a dark and twisted tale, but Kittredge brings new life to this melancholic dystopian storyline. Maybe I haven't read enough books to sense this plot being reminiscent of similar tales, but I found this story refreshingly ingenious. I honestly couldn't have guessed where the plot line would take me but I was happy to be helplessly and intoxicatingly strung along.

Kittredge used just the right amount of eccentric words masterfully interspersed in the novel. One thing that bugged me initially was the unknown to me pronunciation of the main character's name "Aoife." By the third chapter, I had to look it up online before I could read another word. I found that the name is an Irish name, similar to Eva or Ava in English, and is pronounced "Ee-fa."

I was a teensy bit miffed about the unsatisfying ending. To me, this is defined as more lingering questions than answers at the turn of the last page. To some, this may be an intriguing cliff-hanger, but I was left wanting. Now comes the waiting game until the second novel is released...

4.5 out of 5 stars

No comments: